Requirements of working in the UK.

Requirements of working in the UK
Requirements of working in the UK

Requirements for working in the UK

The information that Sanctuary International requires from you depends on where you currently live and the type of job you wish to apply for.

We successfully place both EU and non-EU candidates into a variety of professional healthcare roles. Depending on your practice area, you will need to be registered with the following professional councils:

  • Doctors – GMC registration

  • Nurses – NMC registration

  • Allied Health Professionals – HCPC registration

You can apply for a position before registering with the relevant professional council if you hold specific professional degree level qualifications. Please ask your Sanctuary International consultant who will provide you with further information.

We can even act on your behalf to complete the registration process, provided the relevant forms have been completed.

Police checks

Legally, you will need to obtain a police check from any country where you have spent 12 months or more living in over the past 10 years.

Tier 2 visa candidates

As a healthcare professional from outside the EU, you will require a Tier 2 visa to work in the UK, which will require sponsorship.

The certificate of sponsorship (COS) is granted by the employer; the hospital or trust where you've been offered a position. Once the visa is issued, you have 28 days to arrive in the UK.

Once you receive your COS, you can start your digital Tier 2 visa application. The process is straightforward.

In terms of costs, some employers may offer to cover the expense of obtaining a visa. Your consultant will be able to advise you on whether this is an option.

It’s impossible to give an exact time frame, but you’ll usually receive your visa within four weeks.

English Language Proficiency (UKVI IELTS)

As part of your visa application, you are required, by law, to sit the IELTS exam at a UKVI testing facility. That is, if you have not already taken the exam for NMC/GMC/HCPC registration and that it is still valid.

Why is this so important? Because it tests your English Language Proficiency for entering the UK.

If you have any concerns over your ability to pass the IELTS, we can help. We even have several international English language training schools you could access.

To find out more, visit our English language page.